2011/12/13

Definitions. They're important

"Say what you mean and mean what you say."

Yeah, yeah. That's a clichéd quote. But it's overused for a reason.

It has annoyed me more and more recently that people so often blatantly contradict themselves (yes, more than just waffling politicians hoping for a vote).

Consistency, people. Where is it?

It isn't, most times, in America, that's the problem, and here are a few of my requests made in order to minimize it:

Don't call yourself a Christian and then take bible verses out of context in order to attack others. The most extreme example of this is the WBC. People like that piss me off. That's why people expect all Christians to be judgmental and hateful - misrepresentation like that. People like me have to live with the fallout of their attitudes. I try not to hate anyone, let alone judge them. But the people that create the stereotypes that the rest of us in any "group" have to constantly argue "most of us really aren't like that!" ...it's hard not to hate them some days.

Also, don't complain about how the government isn't controlling big business enough and keep holding the Cold War-era fear of "Communism." So many people don't realize that communism doesn't mean dictatorship, it means the government distributes money and resources, ideally equally. Communism in theory is actually wonderful: no class divide, everyone has enough money... I would probably advocate a good mix of communism and "do something to earn your money" except for a few key problems. One major practical problem in creating a successful communistic economy exists in finding someone truly unbiased enough to distribute the money while avoiding corruption. People are people, and I doubt we'll ever meet anyone with that internal strength, although since the world is often ironic, anyone suitable is likely to be born into a red-phobic country like ours. Also, initiative in communistic economies tends to be squashed since putting in more effort won't yield you any more reward. If there was a good way to fix everything to an ideal, I would advocate that, but whose ideal are we following? That's one good thing about democracy (NOT 'as opposed to communism,' since it's hard to compare an economic system and a system of government) everyone gets a say in what happens, regardless of how little any one vote is reduced to in the grand scheme of things.

Most of all, don't complain about people thinking you're a slut if you're going to have loud conversations about how much you want to screw somebody. One good friend does this to me constantly. She'll complain endlessly about how guys have come on too strong and their creeper personalities, but then, while arguing with me during class about the hotness of the guy who sits next to me, mimes "I want to fuck him," and makes similar comments in audible conversations. (I don't curse if I can help it, out of habit, so if I'm stressed during an interview or somewhere where it would actually matter to me what people thought, I won't slip and curse and upset someone, but she was close enough that I could read her lips as she silently said the words while miming them. I can't deliberately misquote someone; that's bad journalism...) This is one of my best friends, remember, but I can't help but see why people would assume she sleeps around: she's always talking about sex. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but don't complain about your reputation if you refuse to change actions that have directly caused it.

Hypocrisy isn't just about religion. People everywhere just need to learn to only say what they really mean.

But yeah... rant over. For now.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment