2014/01/07

Censorship, Part 2

Read part 1 first to avoid confusion.
. . . I would hyperlink it, but apparently Blogger mobile doesn't allow that. It's just the last post on this blog, written two days ago. Simple enough. Stupid app. :P

So, I did wind up soaking the papers I'd been censored from. I followed up two hours later by writing "CENSORSHIP SUCKS WHEN IT'S EVERYONE" and then smaller, "individually it's a shard of glass in the heart"
Barely 40 hours later, the papers are all in the bathroom trash can. Someone didn't like the reminder that they censor people and that it hurts.

I am rather amused this time, at the irony, because someone's immediate reaction to "censorship sucks" is to take down the entire place to write along with the message. 'Let me censor any reminder that censorship happens.' Good luck with that. People always notice.

But on a serious note, the reactions I've had to the previous post have informed me of other times censorship happens on campus. Before an open house, all the "negative" post-its on another bathroom discussion board disappeared, even the ones like "I miss you friends when we're not together" which I would personally consider positive underneath. Another friend has been formally reprimanded for admitting to being suicidal because "it makes the people around you uncomfortable." I'm glad to know I'm not alone in being censored, but this also shows that the problem is pervasive, and can strike in all magnitudes.

Amused though I am at the latest example, censorship is real and it hurts people. I don't have a perfect plan to fighting it, but I entreat you, readers, to listen to people's stories. A kind, patient, listening ear can be very healing to those who feel silenced.

No comments:

Post a Comment