2011/09/21

Moving, IDs, and Being in Public

We are moving. Almost all of the important documents have been signed. Electricity is being turned on sometime today (the 21st), and we move in TOMORROW! I'm extremely excited, in all ways and colors of the rainbow. (No, it doesn't make sense - oh well, I'm too tired and hyper for it to matter to me.) The afternoon we move in, I'm going to be stuck at the apartment waiting for the cable person to get there so that we can get internet in there. But once they're done, we'll have internet! No TV though, which means no NCIS yet... Bah humbug. I don't like watching live TV anyway.

Most of my stuff is now packed in boxes. I currently have five, with random stuff in them - it's all organised in my head! The majority of what I haven't packed yet is clothing, and my personal important papers... One file box, and I have an as-of-yet unfilled file cabinet I plan to start using really soon. Need to break down some of my shelving to move with me. I'm not taking a lot of things though - my bed, my (smaller) desk, and a fair amount of my stuff is staying here, at my parent's house. One of the things I have yet to do - and need to do at some point soon - is clean out my old school stuff that's sitting in the top of my closet. Up there is also stuff from exes and other junk.... More stuff to be cleaned out.

Something that comes along with a move, and therefore a change of address, is a new ID. Driver's License in mine and my other roommate's case, and ID in my girlfriend's case. Yet again, when I go in there, my shiny new License will state that I am a Male. That's gonna drive me nuts, of all the things involved with this move... Not to mention the twelve bucks per person. That's just stupid. Oh well... There's no spot on an ID of any sort, issued by the government, to state who you truly are. No "Androgynous" mark instead of Male or Female... This is the government for you though - everything is in black and white. Blah. Maybe, some day, this shit won't matter anymore, and we can be who we want. Hey, I can hope, right?

This morning, I took my girlfriend to work. Before dropping her off, we went to McDonald's to grab some quick food. (Quick it is - in and out of your stomach before you leave the restaurant! Anyways...) Instead of wearing a t-shirt this morning, I decided to wear my short(ish) dress and blue jeans out. Threw a real t-shirt in my bag, but with no intentions of putting it on unless I had to deal with my blood family. I'm doing everything I can to keep my body hair-less (face, arms, legs, chest, etc), but it isn't greatly easy. For instance, my upper arms still have some fuzz on them. Fortunately, it's peach fuzz, not regular hairs... I got a lot of weird looks in the restaurant though. People staring, adults and children alike, and it made me laugh inside. In a way, it feels oddly liberating, being like that, taking it in stride. Having acted for several years helps with that - it's like stage fright, only a thousand times worse. Acting barely made it possible to keep from wanting to crawl under a rock and hide for forever. The odd part was that I wanted to laugh at all these people for staring at me, as if I was some circus freak. (Let's just say I'm not passing very well right now! One day, though, I will... One day.) For the rest of the day, except a few hours in the middle, I wore my dress and jeans, although I wasn't really out in public. Mainly with people I trusted. I need to clean up a little more, and then go back out. See how many more weird looks I can get.

The part that has me a little worried, and several others worried, is my safety. There was a story recently of a Transgender woman beaten up in a McDonald's, and for a little while there, I was afraid the person who had committed this horrible crime wasn't going to take any heat. She did though, and I can only hope somebody decides to repay her for what she did... That story gave me a little scare for myself, but having taken ten years of martial arts really helps me in that area. If somebody decides to take a swing at me, I know what to do, and will do it. Not to mention, most of what I carry on my body can be used as an improvised weapon... Working in IT means I carry a multitool and a second pocket knife on me everywhere I go, plus a small mag-lite. Mag-lites hurt when they impact one's head or other body parts! I am prepared, which is why I can go out with a little less fear for my own safety. I know there are people out there who might still come after me, but in this day and age... I can and will defend myself.

I can only hope one day that I won't need to, whoever I may be...

Good night and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment